Santa Fe Living Treasures â€“ Elder Stories
Honored October, 2006
Donna Quasthoff was born in 1924 in Chicago, one of the most architecturally stimulating cities on Earth. She acquired a first-rate education in art and architecture, first at the Chicago Institute of Art, then with advanced studies in Paris. For a time she taught and practiced her craft in New York. But then, as she likes to say, she had the good sense to move to New Mexico while still young. New Mexico and Santa Fe have benefited from her decision ever since.
A few of Donna's accomplishments after her arrival in 1954 include: the bronze statue of Fray AngĂ©lico ChĂˇvez outside the state history library that bears his name; the imposing statue of Don Diego de Vargas in Cathedral Park; the 16 bronze plaques that grace the huge front doors of St. Francis Cathedral; the medallions commemorating New Mexico's 50th anniversary of statehood and the 350th anniversary of Santa Fe's founding; the figure of Christ the Good Shepherd at Holy Faith Episcopal Church; the designs for restoring three historically significant structures in Santa Fe--the Oliver P. Hovey House (formerly called the Pinckney R. Tully House) on Grant Avenue, the Donanciano Vigil House on Alto Street, and the Roque Tudesqui House on East DeVargas Street.